Monday, January 23, 2012

Coffee Chocolate Chip Cupcakes

I'm not much of a baker (really).

I mean, I make a mean oatmeal chocolate chip cookie, decent biscotti, and I've gotten a good bit of use out of my breadmaker (thanks, Mom!).

But while many of my friends mostly bake, more than cook, I definitely cook, more than bake. I am partial to the slapdash, improvisational fun of the stovetop versus the measured precision of the oven.

Just in general, the DDH makes more desserts than I do. I have a serious sweet tooth, don't get me wrong. That's actually why he makes most of the desserts--so we have fewer of them. I could eat muffins and coffee cakes and all manner of breakfast pastries all day long forever, which is why I rarely make them: I would, in fact, eat them all day long forever, and I would weigh three hundred pounds.

All that to say, I saw this muffin recipe in Cooking Light yesterday and promptly made a batch.

We had the instant coffee granules on hand, leftover from a DDH baking experiment. And...coffee chocolate muffins with my morning coffee...who could resist?

Plus, they're caffeinated, so I'll only eat them in the morning. ^_^

Coffee Chocolate Chip Muffins
Adapted (barely) from Cooking Light January/February 2012

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Melt 5 Tbs. butter in a saucepan or microwave safe bowl.

Fun fact: instant coffee is dehydrated brewed coffee.
Combine with the butter: 2/3 cup whole milk, 3 Tbs. instant coffee granules, 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, and 1 large egg, lightly beaten.


Pretend this is a picture of mixed ingredients instead of just its aftermath.
 In a separate bowl, whisk together 9 oz (2 cups) flour (I used half all-purpose and half whole wheat), 2/3 cup sugar, 1/2 cup chocolate chips, 2 tsp baking powder, and 1/4 tsp salt.

Ready to go.
Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and pour in your wet ingredients. Mix until just moistened.

Spoon into twelve greased or lined muffin cups. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until done (toothpick test). Don't overbake them or they'll get tough.

Remove from pan immediately and cool on wire rack.

Nom nom nom.
They are good. Very coffee-y, and dense. They do in fact go well with your morning coffee, or I'm sure they'd be a hit at a brunch meeting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Categories

almonds (2) apples (1) Asian (2) asparagus (2) avocados (1) bacon (8) baked (11) beans (3) beef (9) berries (4) bok choy (1) bread (7) breakfast (11) broccoli (3) budget (43) butternut squash (3) cabbage (2) cake (1) caramel (2) carrot (10) cheap (46) cheating (11) cheese (12) chicken (11) Chinese food (3) chipotle (1) chocolate (6) cookies (1) cooking rules (18) corn (4) cranberries (1) cream (3) cream cheese (2) crockpot (2) cucumber (1) dairy free (4) dessert (10) dipping sauces (3) dried beans (2) eggs (11) experiments (2) fast (40) fish (1) from scratch (41) garden (15) garlic (22) gluten free (5) grain free (3) green beans (2) greens (5) grilling (4) grocery shopping (8) healthy (32) homegrown (7) honey (8) Indian food (2) jalepeno (6) lemon (8) lentils (1) lettuce (3) lime (3) make ahead (6) Mexican (5) milk (3) oats (2) onion (12) orange (4) paella (1) pasta (11) pasta sauces (10) peanuts (1) pecans (1) pork (4) potato (6) pumpkin (2) quick sides (7) quick version (7) reality bites (14) rice (6) rice noodles (1) roasted (1) sage (1) salad (5) sausage (4) shrimp (4) simple (54) snacks (6) soup (5) sourdough (1) spinach (1) spring (4) sriracha (2) summer (11) summer squash (7) sweet potatoes (6) teriyaki (1) the DDH cooks (13) tomatoes (16) tortillas (5) vegetarian (24) winter (11) winter squash (2) zucchini (7)